Here at YDCFF your opinion matters. This is our first fan post. Everyone has an opinion as to what route they feel the Cowboys should take in the draft. This 2014 Mock Draft was done by Stevendad from Oklahoma. If you would like to submit a fan post for publication contact Cas via email.
My 2014 Mock Draft: (pre combine)
Needs, needs, needs. I actually liked last year’s draft (exceptÃ‚Â Escobar pick), but it clearly didn’t meet the ‘Boys needs. Let’s recap the 2013 needs: G, S, DT. Sound familiar? Per most draft sites, 2014 needs: G, S, DT. Our positional needs were totally unmet at the top end.Ã‚Â However, Frederick is a future Pro Bowler, Terrance Williams will outperform Miles Austin’s averages over the past few years,Ã‚Â Escobar, Holloman, Wilcox and Joseph Randle will all be long term contributors and likely eventually starters.
Here goes my 2014 Mock Draft: trade down for aÃ‚Â later first and gain a third (sound familiar?).
- Round one, Defensive tackle: Hatcher’s gone and petered out at the end any way. Ra’Shede Hageman is my top choice, but may not fall to 16. Still very raw, but speed, size and attitude could make him a dominant 3 technique. Timmy Jernigan and Aaron Donald would be great fits. Louis Nix is not, but I couldn’t turn down the player I see as the next Vince WilforkÃ‚Â if he fell there.
- Round two, Safety: Still a grave weakness as WR’s constantly run free in the center of the D. Clinton Pryor won’t be there at 47, but looks like a poor man’s Ronnie Lott. Brings the wood. Haha Clinton-Dix likely gone too. More realistically, Deone Bucannon and Tre Boston are big, fast, hit hard and should still be around.
- Round three, Guard: Should be good ones around still. Both picks for guards, need I say why?Ã‚Â Cyrill Richardson, Gabe Jackson, Xavier Su’a Filo, David Yankey are all big and powerful, but there’s a slew of guards in this range if all are gone.
- Round four, Defensive End: Not a star available this late. Next year this needs to be the first round pick to replace D Ware (gulp). Good backups / contributors / specialists: Taylor Hart, Ed Stinson, Cassius Marsh, Will Clarke. Michael Sam looks like a good rush specialist.
*************Warning: Homer Zone from rabid Oklahoma fan********************
Rounds 5,6,7- -Ã‚Â Some combination of:
- FB Trey Millard: Big, reasonably fast, good hands and a crushing blocker. Able to leap tall Longhorns in a single bound (youtube it). Pancakes DE’s and linebackers, can push back defensive tackles and seal blocks like a guard.
- S Aaron Colvin: Could fall this far after injuring knee in Senior Bowl practices. Played FS, SS, field and boundary corners at OU. Good size for a corner and can fill in at safety if needed.
- RB Roy Finch: spent his career in Cale Gundy’s doghouse and didn’t get a lot of carries over career, but has blinding speed and breaks a lot of ankles. Word is he’s matured and will beÃ‚Â a 7th round / FA steal. NFLPA game helped too.
- WR Jalen Saunders. Small, but produces great stats as a slot receiver and is a constant scoring threat as a punt returner. Dominated a tough Notre Dame defense in 2012 game.
Editors Note: The YDCFF staff would like to thank Stevendad for taking the time to contribute his Dallas CowboysÃ‚Â 2014 Mock draft.